Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Kim's Day Off

I claim Thursday is my day off, meaning I don't schedule riding lessons and I generally don't ride client horses on Thursdays.  However, I do go to Pilates, and since I'm in town I run errands.  These are my new Pilates pants, and I may or may not have worn them around town to run errands as well...


I picked up feed and shavings, and then while driving home I realized I couldn't unload hundreds of pounds of various carefully chosen feeds for specific horses by myself.

I stopped at the neighbors' place on my way home and asked for their fourteen year old son to come help me (since he offered when they moved in a few weeks ago to help if I ever needed muscle).  Unfortunately the muscle had gone camping with the youth group for the weekend.  So my friend, her eleven year old daughter (I'll make her farm girl strong yet!), and her youngest son came over and helped me unload.

The kids stood in the bed of the truck and dragged the feed bags to the tailgate, then shoved them off into the wheelbarrow.  My friend hefted the wheelbarrow into the feed room, and I emptied the bags into their specified containers.  The feed came to 750 lbs, plus 10 bags of shavings, so these home schooled kids for sure got their PE in for the day!

Once I had the bed of the truck empty I could hook up the trailer.  Highboy and I took a field trip (Highboy says, "YAY FIELD TRIP!") to my friend Trisha's.  Trisha and I are putting together a pas de deux to perform in Estes Park over the fourth of july weekend when we are there for the horse show.  A pas de deux is basically a dressage test with two riders in it, set to music.  We mostly got our plan set up today.  Highboy had to be brave and sidepass over to the scary speakers so I could press play multiple times to get our music going, but he did it.  Trisha's horse is a compact little bay quarter horse mare who does western dressage, and Highboy is a huge lanky thoroughbred gelding riding english dressage, so it will be a very fun contrast!

Highboy loves to go places, and was so happy to take the field trip to Trisha's!  It wasn't much of a day off for me since I crammed a magnificent amount of activity into these hours, but at least I got to ride my own horse.  I didn't fall off, either, so that counts as a successful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment