Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC
Welcome to Bit of Honey Training LLC

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

The History of Bit of Honey Blogging

I was that kid in English class whose every poem was about her love for her piano teacher's horse.   Every essay involved getting to the olympics for eventing.  Every art project made from a horseshoe.  I have also always kept a journal, and over the years many horses have been featured in my books.  I have a cedar chest that sits at the end of my bed, filled to the brim with my journals.  I can't fit any more hardbound books in there, so I have the more recent ones in my office on a shelf. 

When I was about ten years old I started what was called The Penny and Tonka Diary, named after the two horses who occupied my every waking thought, and most of my sleeping ones.  I was the president of our little group called the Horseshoe Club, and my tolerant middle school friends were willing to follow my lead in recording all of our horsey endeavors in the little black book, with the title emblazoned on the cover in glittery gold puffy paint.  I still have The Penny and Tonka Diary, it sits in the cedar chest with the other books of my youth. 

I have to nod at how my adult life has reflected my childhood.  The stable colors now are black and yellow, the diary was black with gold puffy paint.  I blog about my equine adventures now, and I was very detailed in my assessment of each session with the horses in this little book. 


This blog has become an extension of my journal, and a way for me to record the stories of things that happen at Bit of Honey Training.  Each year I print the blog, and I have a good sized collection of books accumulating.  It's fun to recognize my roots in my current situation, and to look back on how my horsey lifestyle began.


Penny and Tonka were a pony and horse owned by my piano teacher.  They were the end of my piano lessons and the beginning of my affair with equines. 












I can't help but contrast them to my current horse and pony, Highboy and Garmin.  Garmin was clearly purchased with my subconscious attending to Tonka's color.  Highboy is a wish come true for me, I own the big bay Thoroughbred I always dreamed of, and I've been fortunate to work with so many other gorgeous Thoroughbreds over the years.  I feel so grateful for the solid horses who raised me, and the beautiful creatures I work with today.  










No comments:

Post a Comment